meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Hi,

  unfortunately I had to change my motherboard (the replacement is
  exactly the same model/type of the previous on).

  I booted the new board and: NO Lan. Eth0 dead it seems.

  It took me several long minutes before I found the following
  line in dmesg's log:

         udev: renaming etho to eth1

  There is only the onboard lan chip and no extra ethernet
  card is installed in the rig.

  Now I have eth1 and no eth0.
  Why does this happen? What is the reason for that?

  Thank you very much for any hint in advance!
  Have a nice weekend!
  Best regards,
  mcc

I'm not going to get technical on this because it is over my head. Basically, udev picked up that something changed so it renamed the device. I suspect it is a built in port on the mobo. You can delete the udev rule and restart udev and it should see it as the ONLY device.

The reason I know this, I have three ethernet cards on my rig. I replaced one of them and it was a mess. They were laid out as 2, 3 then 1 and it took me a while to figure out which is which. I deleted the rules file and restarted udev and the first one was 1 and so on.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)