Apparently, though unproven, at 03:21 on Monday 17 January 2011, William
Kenworthy did opine thusly:

> > modern desktop that swaps is unusable - enormous amounts of data has to
> > be pulled back in from the drive. A web server that swaps is already
> > thrashing so you always want to avoid that.
> >
> > Besides, RAM is cheap and a server with 24G is common place. So is 4G on
> > a notebook. So your viewpoint is completely correct.
> >
> > The kernel does need some swap though - it needs wiggle room for when you
> > DO run out of RAM, and a little bit of swap gives that. It also staves
> > off that bastard demon spawn progeny of satan called the dreaded oom
> > killer....
>
> There is one case where ~2xram is still a good idea - when hibernating
> to swap using (in my case) tuxonice - 2xram gives a reasonable safety
> margin for hibernation plus existing swap contents.

Yes, that's true. But modern notebooks often have 4G of RAM so that's a big
partition for hibernating. Swap files probably function better for that case.
I stopped hibernating a long time ago for that reason and now just suspend.
Besides, the machine is seldom off for more than 4 hours

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com