> I think the idea is never use swap if possible, but in a case where
> you don't have swap space or run out of swap space I think it's still
> possible to lose data.

Isn't swap just an extension of system memory?  Isn't adding 4GB of
memory just as effective at preventing out-of-memory as dedicating 4GB
of HD space to swap?  I can understand enabling swap on a laptop or
other system with constrained memory capacity, but doesn't it make
sense to disable swap and add memory on a 24GB server?

Is swap basically a way to save money on RAM?

- Grant