On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:50:17AM -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
> At the expense of sounding like an "Elitist Chowderhead" I kind of agree
> with Chris. I'm fairly new to Gentoo (but not to Linux). I came from Fedora
> and must say that personally Gentoo makes way more sense and pisses me off
> far less than any RedHat distro. But that said I would never recommend
> Gentoo to a noob unless they where just as geeky as I. I would rather see
> normal people use distros like Mandriva and Linspire then graduate to Gentoo
> when and if they are ready than to have them start at Gentoo then get pissed
> off at their own inability to make the thing work and go back to Windoze.
> Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth.
>
> -Mike

I disagree. I think we should pit people first against OpenBSD, then
FreeBSD, then Gentoo Linux, then Debian, then SuSE, then
Fedora/Mandrake... which ever one they manage to install on the first
try (of course, following a manual) should be they one they start
from.....

Of course, a sadistic bastard like myself (and since I am speaking
from experience, probably also masochistic) should have no say in this
matters. q=

I kid of course. I have had at least UserLand experience with RedHat
and Solaris before I installed a *nix system on my own computer. With
a manual in hand, even the BSDs were quite easy to set up.
Unfortunately a BIOS bug in my IBM Thinkpad means that openbsd killed
it for good (or at least until a complete system wipe).

But seriously, I don't see really problems with n00bs using Gentoo as
a starter distro, so long as the said n00bs knows the power of
google...

Best,

Once you've seen one shopping center you've seen a mall.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 3 days, 23:45