On 28 February 2011 12:25, dhk <dhk...@optonline.net> wrote:

> I did everything in Grub and haven't touched the MS Windows partitions
> since the initial install.
>
> The problem looks like Grub and some other stuff.  Can't boot to Windows
> or Linux.  It looks like the Grub menu never comes up.  However, it
> seems to know about it, because the menu options can still gets executed
> either after the time out or by pressing Enter.  Then some stuff gets
> printed to the screen and the boot process begins, but it errors before
> the Operating Systems come up.  When trying to boot to Windows, I have
> no idea why it errors.  When trying to boot to Linux, the fsck.ext3
> fails on /dev/sda7 which is my root partition.  It seems to think it's
> ext2, but when I checked (by booting to the livecd) with tune2fs -j it
> says it's already journaling.

Consider booting from a LiveCD, check that /dev/sda7 indeed contains
the root filesystem, unmount it and run:

e2fsck -f -v -c /dev/sda7

> After the boot fails and I give the root
> password, I looked in /dev and there aren't any sda partitions and I
> have 12 on the disk.  My disk looks like the following.

>From a terminal start grub:
======================================
# grub

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 9216K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> find /grub/stage1
 (hd0,2)      <--If your /boot is indeed on /dev/sda3 and you have
installed grub in there

grub> root (hd0,2)  <--as found above

grub> set (hd0)  <--install the bootcode in the MBR of the 1st hard drive

grub> quit

Then you need to set up the /boot/grub/grub.conf file with the correct
lines pointing to /dev/sda7 for your Linux root and chainloading
/dev/sda1 for your MSWindows OS.

As long as you have installed the right modules for chipset and fs in
the kernel you should be able to boot.

HTH.
--
Regards,