On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:22:41 Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question about LVM.  I have a 750Gb drive that has miscellaneous
> stuff on it.  Stuff likes videos, music, pictures, ISO files and a few
> other things.  It's not full yet but it is working on it.  I have my OS
> on sda.  The large drive is on sdc.  If I buy another drive it should be
> sdd.  I think this is possible from what I have read but want to make
> sure.  Could I put sdc and sdd on LVM but the OS remain as it is with
> LVM not involved at all?  Basically, my OS stays just like it is and is
> not touched my LVM at all but the two larger drives are managed by LVM.

Simple (and complete answer): Yes, you can use LVM only for a subset of the
drives you have inside a system.

You will need to do it in the following steps though:
- create PV, LVM and LV on the new drive
- copy data over
- create PV on old drive and add it to LVM
Contact me or list if you need help with the actual commands and syntax.
(There are plenty of howtos around)

> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
> on.  Just my personal opinion on LVM.

Interesting argument. You don't trust LVM, so you put your personal files on
there, but not the easily replacable stuff like OS? :)

> If there is a better solution to link two large drives, I'm open to
> those ideas as well.  LVM is all I can think of is why I mention it.

RAID-0 (if they're same size) or linking them together.
Compared to those, I would always recommend LVM as that is easier to maintain
then JBOD or RAID-0.

There might also be filesystems that include disk-spanning, but if you're
already not convinced about LVM being reliable, I wouldn't use one of these
filesystems then.

Please note, I have not lost data related to issues with LVM. I have, in the
distant past, lost data related to issues with filesystems.
Because of the latter, I rely on a combination of RAID-subsystems with LVM on
top and reliable backups :)

--
Joost Roeleveld