Dale wrote:
Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 10:43:12 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

No matter how many drives you have, I doubt you'll need more than one
volume group.
...although I did find not long ago that a second VG for another,
temporary distro kept things tidy.. This is not to contradict you
though.
Oh yes, and I have two VGs on my desktop, because I want to keep backups
completely separate. But for the usage Dale has mentioned, one VG is
best. If for no other reason that multiple VGs reduce the flexibility of
LVM.

And I wouldn't put another distro on here anyway. I wuv my Gentoo. < dale hugs the Gentoo bytes on the drive platters > lol I think for me, just one would be enough.

One more question. When I buy another drive, I use pvcreate to get the new drive ready for LVM. What command adds it to the VG? Is it vgcreate with some option? I was sort of looking for something like vgadd or something but no luck finding that. Maybe I am missing it on the howtos.

Dale

:-)  :-)

That would be vgextend wouldn't it? I just read another bit in another howto.

Dale

:-)  :-)