Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:

> On a typical Cisco router you should be able to download/edit/upload
> the configuration file from/to the router using tftp and a text
> editor, or minicom and a serial cable if the router has a serial
> port,

When I export the config file, its a binary file, not accessible by
text editor.

I can get a pile of humpty dumpty bunk using `strings' so apparently
not intended for text editing at all.

> or easiest method should be to login via telnet or ssh from your PC
> using a terminal and run IOS configuration commands.  The Cisco
> website has loads of documentation on IOS.  Something like this will
> show you the ropes (although details vary depending on the version of
> your firmware and platform):
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/12_4/cf_12_4_book.html

Thanks for the site.  After looking around there a while I'm not
seeing how to gain a terminal to execute any ios commands.

Neither ssh or telnet are accepted at the router.

Surely its not really  necessary to use a special cable and minicom?

A search of the full manual on `ssh' or tftp for that matter, turns up
no hits.

Even the term `command line' turns up nothing useful in the admin
manual.

If I enable `remote admin' it is clearly intended for browser access
on port 8080, and again no obvious route to any cli opportunities.  In
fact its not clear even how to connect via a browser for remote admin.

After turning remote admin on, and setting a single IP address to be
able to connect... I still cannot access it for remote admin on 8080.

It seems a really poor users manual or either it expects user to
already have serious knowledge of cisco setups and only require the
most general help.

It appears the intent by cisco is that one should use only the poorly
documented interface for setting up the router.

Of course I can connect using its lan IP and user/passwd, but even
there I see no opportunity to set anything for cmdline access.

Diddling around on ciscos pages seems a serious time waster.

Entering the Router model continually leads to a manual for a
different (wireless) model.

Its exasperating because I know there is good information there
somewhere but they do not make it easy to find.

The Disc that came with the router contains the Quick start guide and
a chicken pukky Admin guide that is so bland and uninformative as to
rate as nearly useless.

I'm probably jumping the gun, but this RVS4000 is looking more and
more like some pretty sorry junk to me.