Apparently, though unproven, at 12:43 on Sunday 05 June 2011, Indi did opine
thusly:

> > I see room for a KDEPIM fork from the 4.4 codebase in maintenance mode
> > that  does not add deep features.
> >

> Thanks, Alan. Of course kmail is out of the question, as it requires a
> ginormous application framework be built (and rebuilt weekly, it looks
> like).
>
> I got pretty fed up with wasting time fooling with anything qt,
> to the point it's now officially banished entirely from my systems.
> That decision alone has saved me hours of extra work updating (and
> subsquent repairing of the inevitable fallout) per week.
>
> For a long time I built vlc with qt4 (it's very convenient when you're
> exhausted and just want to play a video), but finally got sick of having
> to rebuild it every time the qt guys change anything (which they seem to
> do about every two hours). Now I just use nvlc and cvlc instead.
>
> Since I started building vlc without qt I go weeks without having to
> rebuild it.
>
> It's too bad, really. Potentially, qt4 and kde could totally rock.
> I don't suppose the corporate shenanigans with Nokia and Microsoft
> have helped, either...
>
> Of course,  I am using ~x86. It might be less hectic on stable...

A victim of "release early, release often"? :-)

It's the price we pay on Gentoo with rolling upgrades - ebuilds for older
versions get swept clean so unless you are prepared to maintain code yourself
you need to rebuild often. x86 is better, but still not free of it.

Binary distros can shield their user from all that (while exposing them to a
different set of equally annoying problems...)

I don't see a real problem with Qt/Nokia/MS though. I predict a lot of
platitudes from that soul-less monstrosity but no real progress. Meanwhile,
KDE can fork Qt anytime they feel like it (if they haven't already).
Maintenance won't be hard - Qt is mature with a defined roadmap so we can skip
the "argue about the design for 12 months first" step as being already done.

I would have like to see Qt running on lots of embedded devides though..

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com