On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 03:11:04PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 14:44 on Sunday 05 June 2011, Indi did opine
> thusly:
>
> > Yes, probably I'm unlikely to do it...
> > Never did actually switch from testing to stable, it's always the other
> > way around. Every now and then I'll delete the "~" and type "emerge
> > -vauND world", it always looks like a fracking nightmare...
> >
> > In fact, testing branch is remarkable good and more stable than most
> > distro's "stable" branch. The gentoo devs are truly magnificent at their
> > job.
>
> IIRC the approved way to do it is set arch to stable then just leave it alone
> for 6 months letting packages catch up. Keep an eye out for security bugs but
> otherwise do nothing. After a while emerge world will show a list that looks
> like it will complete without too much difficulty.

That makes sense.

> Of course this just glosses over (aka completely ignores) deal-breakers like
> opecrc not moved to stable yet (no longer the case fortunately)

Well, mostly I'm happy with testing. But having learned quite a bit
since installing, it's an interesting question whether I'd now be
able to use stable without having to mix a bunch of testing stuff
to get everything working to my spec.

But it's an awful lot of work to go through if I'm only going to
end up back in my current position again...

When I upgrade the laptop and have to do a fresh install we'll
find out, maybe this fall. I do hate changing machines, but
using a single core Pentium M is starting to become a bit of a
disadvantage in a few ways...

--
caveat utilitor