On Sunday 05 Jun 2011 14:50:00 Indi wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 03:11:04PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:44 on Sunday 05 June 2011, Indi did
> > opine
> >
> > thusly:
> > > Yes, probably I'm unlikely to do it...
> > > Never did actually switch from testing to stable, it's always the other
> > > way around. Every now and then I'll delete the "~" and type "emerge
> > > -vauND world", it always looks like a fracking nightmare...
> > >
> > > In fact, testing branch is remarkable good and more stable than most
> > > distro's "stable" branch. The gentoo devs are truly magnificent at
> > > their job.
> >
> > IIRC the approved way to do it is set arch to stable then just leave it
> > alone for 6 months letting packages catch up. Keep an eye out for
> > security bugs but otherwise do nothing. After a while emerge world will
> > show a list that looks like it will complete without too much
> > difficulty.
>
> That makes sense.

Last time I did it I waited for about 2 months.  As Alan said it was a pig to
get through all the blockers and what not, but I eventually got there in the
end.

The big disappointment was that once in stable, I would find every few weeks
that (some) bugs I had reported under ~arch were now being introduced into the
stable branch!  Arrrgh!

However, big breakages which would occur occasionally in testing were history
and have been able to run stable without regretting it ever since.

--
Regards,
Mick