I've read the linked page(s) and I've also read some other relevant
articles.  I have not yet seen a clear enough thesis that explains why
on this occasion creating a 'for profit' organisation will serve more
effectively the public good/end user.  If indeed true, then I don't
think that private information (search/browsing patterns) being shared
without knowledge and consent of the user is acceptable.  Car
manufacturers sponsoring *privately* funded events (like a TV show) is
clearly not the same.  These days many companies sponsor events for
charitable organisations - the question is to what extend is this
sponsoring acceptable.  I suggest that it is acceptable only to the
extent that it does not compromise the objectives of the not for profit
organisation.  Sharing our private information (i.e. our own browsing
trends) for profit without our consent is evidently not on - whether
undertaken by a for profit or not organisation!

Any idea how Opera (adware in its 'free' form) behaves on this issue?  I
suspect it probably does the same, but at least it clearly states so
when you first launch the unpaid program.  Not sure what happens if you
pay for it.