Pandu Poluan wrote:
Personally, I do some cherry-picking and enable a bashcomp when I found out I
need it. I have 2 concerns (which may or may not be true):

1. It will make bash (or the whole system) slower

2. For some commands I *might* want the standard completion

That results in a short list of 'essential' bashcomps that I enable this way:

for m in $ESSENTIAL_BASHCOMP; do eselect bashcomp enable $m; done

Shove that line (prepended by ESSENTIAL_BASHCOMP) into a script, save the
script somewhere safe and retrievable, and everytime I need to enable the
bashcomp modules, I'll just download the script and execute it :)

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

Sent from Nokia E72-1

So far, I'm just enjoying not having to type so much. I'm not a great typer anyway so the less I have to do the better.

If I run into something that I don't want bash completion on, I can always disable it. The man page tells how to do that but doesn't have a enable all option.

Since I have a quad core 3.2Ghz machine, I'm not to worried about speed. I actually can't tell any difference, at least so far. I may not do this on my old x86 rig tho. It's a single 2500+ CPU and IDE drives. That may slow things down there.

Thanks for sharing tho. I'll keep that in mind when I mess with my old rig.

Dale

:-)  :-)