On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 04:19:46 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > That's a kernel panic. You can have the system reboot itself after a
> > panic by adding kernel.panic=N to /etc/sysctl.conf, where N is the
> > number of seconds to wait before rebooting.

> Kewl !!!  I just saw that in the file but it is commented out.  Like
> this:
>
> # When the kernel panics, automatically reboot in 3 seconds
> #kernel.panic = 3
>
> So, I uncomment this and the system will reboot in 3 seconds?  Does it
> sync and unmount or just do the same as me hitting the reset button?

The kernel is dead, it's all it can manage to reboot with it's last gasp.

> Is there a way to set this without rebooting?

You can set it with sysctl on the command line, or add it to the file and
reload the config with sysctl -p

> Thanks.  Why wouldn't that be a default I wonder?

Because it causes reboot loops if there's a basic error that causes a
panic when you boot.

You can also give it as a kernel option in GRUB, add "panic=N" to the
kernel options.

--
Neil Bothwick

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them.