Mick wrote:
On Saturday 09 Jul 2011 02:49:55 Dale wrote:
OK.  Back to the original thread.

Here we go again.  Everything seems to work EXCEPT Firefox.  When I log
into KDE, I can run Seamonkey, Kpat, Konqueror, Konsole, gkrellm and
such but as soon as I start Firefox, it locks up tight.  Tight enough
that the kernel panics and it resets since Neil informed me how to set
that up.  Thanks Neil!

On Firefox, I have unmerged both nspluginwrapper&  adobe-flash.  Still
does the same.  I also tried the unstable version of Firefox 3 and even
the unstable Firefox 4.  I don't think it is Firefox itself but
something that Firefox accesses or loads up.  Keep in mind, when I
upgraded Firefox it also pulled in new xulrunner packages as well.  Is
there anything else I should unmerge?  Keep in mind, I can't open
Firefox.  Should I try to run Firefox as root to see if it locks up then
too?
Personally I would not run FF as root.  It should run as plain user and be
able to access all that it needs to do its job.  What you haven't told us is
if you have tried the stable FF version 3.6.17 and if you are also getting the
same problems with the www-client/firefox-bin?

3.6.17 was what I had if I recall correctly. I had whatever was the stable version. I then went up to the unstable version of 3 then to the 4 version. All did the same. That's why I don't think it is Firefox itself but maybe something it loads or accesses. Thing is, as I went up versions, it pulled in different versions of xulrunner and such that Firefox depends on. I doubt that many versions can all have the same problem and it only affect me. Just sort of sounds odd.

As for running as root, I meant as a test not a permanent thing. If I did open it as root, I would have my router turned off, just to be safe.

This is weird as heck. A program leading a kernel panic. It's a head scratcher.

Dale

:-)  :-)