On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>>
>> On 07/09/11 16:56, Dale wrote:
>>

>>> No worries.  Sometimes when you back up a bit, you may realize you
>>> missed something.  I did run memtest and it bad about 45 passes I think
>>> with no errors.  That takes a while when you have 16Gbs.  o_O
>>>

>> Ah, ok. I'd also try a hard drive scan to make sure firefox's stuff
>> isn't sitting on bad sectors.
>>
>> Applications shouldn't be able to cause a kernel panic, period. So if it
>> isn't hardware, it's a kernel bug by definition.
>>

> I'm going to try having a fresh .mozilla directory as soon as I can.  I'm
> sort of enjoying having KDE right now.  ;-)
>
> I don't think it is the hard drive.  I did a fresh install on a spare drive
> with the same results.  so, I'm beginning to think it is a kernel bug but
> the thing is, I have tried several versions of that too.
>
> Basically, this is plain confusing.  I can't see how Firefox, or something
> it has to access, can cause a kernel panic.  Thing is, I can't think of
> anything else that could be the problem but trying different versions of a
> kernel makes me think it is not the kernel either.
>
> < sighs >
>
> Dale

And this is exactly why you should consider posting any information
your can find on LKML to let the heavy weight guys figure it out. As I
said earlier, I believe they will take you quite seriously. In general
I would also say that Firefox should be able to cause a kernel panic,
and since it is I know the kernel developers are going to be
interested in what's the root cause.

I don't remember from earlier why you said it was a kernel panic, but
clearly it must be. How are you determining this? Do you have info in
a terminal? For a few problems I've had I've posted digital photos
I've taken and uploaded to FlickR. You might consider doing something
similar.

Cheers,
Mark