walt wrote:
On 07/11/2011 09:42 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:

Although Neil may have a point when he says that an unclean shutdown could
have corrupted things. I was under the impression that with a journaling
file system this should be safe, but I do not know much bout this.
I agree with Neil so (if I'm awake enough) I'll force an fsck by doing:

#touch /forcefsck in the root directory of any filesystem you might
be worried about, and then reboot.

Do this before resuming any emerge, of course, so you don't screw up
the fs any more than it already is.  (BTW I still use only ext3, so I
can't say anything about reiser, ext4, etc.)

I think the point of the journal is not to preserve the files but the file system. There is a huge difference. The journal may fix the file system but a corrupt file will still be a corrupt file.

The only thing worse than loosing a few hours of compiling, resuming a compile only to find out you have to start over anyway.

Just saying.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)