On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 06:06:35PM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I'll spend some time I don't have reading the archives, then see.
>

> Well, they are about to move some openrc things to /usr or at least that
> was the way it was leaning earlier.  The thread is titled "rfc: using
> /libexec" if you are interested.  If you still don't like the idea of
> not being able to have /usr on a separate partition, may want to speak
> up soon.  Once openrc stuff gets moved there, you won't boot with a
> separate /usr anymore.

I'm not quite sure what is going to happen with this yet. If we do move
openrc to /usr, there will be a way provided to boot with separate /usr.

> What is happening to Linux nowadays?  :/

In a nutshell, it is because of udev rules running things in /usr. That
forces /usr to be available as part of the early boot sequence.

This is definitely not a choice that the gentoo disto made; it is coming
from several upstreams.

William