Mick wrote:
On Friday 19 Aug 2011 23:08:06 Dale wrote:
Gregory Woodbury wrote:
The initramfs is a container for modules and stuff need to bring up
the system before the mounts of
/ and /boot.    If all the drivers are built-in to the kernel (or at
least the minimum required drivers are built-in)
then the initramfs isn't necessary.

Passing parameters to the kernel is a different issue entirely.

My grub.conf line is:
                 kernel /vmlinuz-3.0.3-gentoo root=/dev/sda2

pata_it821x.noraid=1

with the pata_it821x driver built-in for the kenel to find a set of
older IDE drives on the IT8212 card I have installed.

IIRC the initramfs is built with the mkinitrd command.  I haven't had
to use it so I could be wrong.
Update with new info.  With udev needing some things in /usr, and /var,
you will need a init* if /usr and /var is not on / in the near future.
Yea, real neat.  Some need it already just depends on what is installed
from what I read.
Give us a link please Dale.

2/3 of my boxen have both /usr and/var on separate partitions and I never had
to use initramfs (other than boot splash - or whatever it happens to be called
this month).

It was discussed on -dev so far.  This is the subject line:

"Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?"

I think it will apply to /var to at some point. I think it sucks. I have /var on a separate partition and want to put /usr on one to but not now.

I think it can be found on gmane.com. Again, it is on -dev and yes I raised my objections to this but it is UPSTREAM from Gentoo. Dang Fedora or something. ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)