On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM, <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Em 19/08/2011 07:09, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> escreveu:

> the

> do
> it
> from

> kernel

> everything
> grub.conf :

> root=/dev/ram0
> > >
> > > Maybe I'm missing the obvious here but have you taken a copy of
> > > whatever config file was used/generated by genkernel and used that as
> > > a jumping off point for building your own kernel. kernel's a kernel's
> > > a kernel. What it is capable of doing is in the .config file. If
> > > genkernel doesn't give you a .config file - I've never used genkernel
> > > so I don't know what it does - then assuming you have the feature
> > > turned on you can get the running config using zcat /proc/config.gz.
> > > Save that to a new .config file, put it in the kernel source directory
> > > and you should be good to go.
> > >
> > > You can also use zcat /proc/config.gz on the install CD kernel if yuo
> > > boot from that. Save it to a disk and use it as the basis for creating
> > > your own config.
> >
> > If you no longer use genkernel it is likely that you do not need an
> initram.
> > Build chipset and fs modules into the kernel.  Other drivers you can
> choose if
> > you want to build as modules.
>
> I the case I don't need a initram, I guess that the grub line for parameter
> passing to the kernel would be empty. Am I wrong?
>
> I was just looking on how to build my own initram. What is it supposed to
> do anyway?

The initramfs is a container for modules and stuff need to bring up the
system before the mounts of
/ and /boot.    If all the drivers are built-in to the kernel (or at least
the minimum required drivers are built-in)
then the initramfs isn't necessary.

Passing parameters to the kernel is a different issue entirely.

My grub.conf line is:

                kernel /vmlinuz-3.0.3-gentoo root=/dev/sda2
pata_it821x.noraid=1

with the pata_it821x driver built-in for the kenel to find a set of older
IDE drives on the IT8212 card I have installed.

IIRC the initramfs is built with the mkinitrd command.  I haven't had to use
it so I could be wrong.