On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:04:17 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> > Putting it on a logical volume is one advantage, allowing /usr to be
>> > resized should the need arise.
>>
>> Why not allow / to be resized entirely? You probably will take the
>> machine off-line anyway.
>
> Because you can't boot from an LV, so you'd than need a separate /boot
> and an initramfs. Without LVM, you are unlikely to be able to resize /
> or /usr as it is not usually the last partition on the drive.

So, you guys want a separated /usr, but don't want a separate /boot. Awesome.

>> > Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
>>
>> mount -o remount,rw /
>> emerge --sync && emerge -uDNv world
>> dispatch-conf
>> mount -o remount,ro /
>>
>> Or, if you only want to modify some configuration file (which in a
>> sane environment doesn't happen that often):
>>
>> mount -o remount,rw /
>> adduser fulano ...
>> mount -o remount,ro /
>
> This is longer than the init script needed in an initramfs. I wonder what
> problems you'd have when booting as the kernel tries to update the likes
> of /etc/mtab on a read-only fs.

# ls -l /etc/mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec  1  2010 /etc/mtab -> /proc/self/mounts

I don't see any problem at all.

>> Again, I don't see the reason for a separated /usr.
>
> That doesn't mean there aren't several valid reasons to do so.

I didn't say they were invalid, I say that *I* don't see the reason to
separate /usr. The arguments exposed just don't convice me. But
anyway, you will be able to do it with an initramfs.

>> But *again*, if
>> that's what you want, you will be able to do it. You will just need an
>> initramfs.
>
> I neither have nor need one at the moment, which means this update will
> break my system.

Then don't update. Wanna keep up with upstream? Then accept that
sometimes you will need to change your setup, and change how you do
stuff.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés