On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM, pk <pete...@coolmail.se> wrote:
> On 2011-09-08 05:23, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> Yeah, first time I installed Linux, it required 512 Mb (if I installed
>> X), and 16 Mb of memmory. Change happens. I welcome it happily,
>> because that's how we progress and get even better stuff.
>
> Change is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Something that used to work
> (and still works on other *nix:es) but doesn't because someone doesn't
> think it should work that way is... well, what can I say? This is a
> regression, there's no other way to put it.

The world is never black or white. Under several definitions,
*nothing* has stopped working. You just need to do extra stuff to keep
it working.

> Also, you say you welcome change... If you could have all of todays
> functionality in a GNU/Linux OS in 512MB/16MB, wouldn't that be much
> better than needing several GB (in both hard drive space and memory)?
> You could put all that space (hard drive/mem) to good use instead... Or
> are you one of those that thinks change is good just for the sake of...
> change?

No, I understand that today's functionality in Linux requires more
hard drive space, more memory and faster CPU's. I don't like change
for change's sake, my whole point is that the benefits we get from
following upstream overweights the problems.

(Of course, again, is not black and white: the kernel devs, I trust
almost withouth doubt. GNOME devs I trust less. An unknown hacker with
a new project I trust almost nothing.)

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés