On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:21:11 -0400
> Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I do not have an initramfs, do not
>> > need one, see no need to have one and have not yet seen a valid
>> > technical reason for why having one is ideal.
>>
>> It's not "ideal" (I don't think anybody has said that). Almost nothing
>> is "ideal" in computer science.
>>
>> Maybe it's not enough for you, but I repeat: we need dynamic /dev
>> trees, udev giveus that, the udev code lives in user space, we need an
>> early user space => initramfs.
>
> I didn't say I don't use udev, I do. I too have cameras, USB gadgets
> and a huge array of possible hotplug objects in the shops I can buy at
> any time. udev makes that all work well.
>
> I don't agree with the assertion that "user space => initramfs".
>
> You obviously must start udev as soon as possible in the boot process.
> For it to work at all, one of the minimum requirements is something
> mounted at / containing udev rules. This can be an initramfs or a
> physical disk or anything else that can possibly behave as a block
> device. I know of nothing in the kernel that *requires* it to be an
> initramfs. The code should be generic enough that I can mount whatever
> I want, then do whatever I need to do within limits and finally pivot
> mount the real /

The only simple answer I have is this one: if it is so simple, then it
would work this way.

It isn't. If I am wrong (and, of course, that is possible), someone
will come out and do it, and you guys will be able to keep your
separated /usr and no initramfs.

But I really don't think so. But, please, prove me wrong. I would
certainly be interesting to see another solution.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México