On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:23:42 -0400
Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> >> OMG!
> >> What a mess. udev treats all exit-codes except 0 the same.
> >> That's so bad, I have no words for it.
> >> Definitely not a developer I trust to do things the right way.

> >> Agree, FreeBSD is really a fine OS.

> >> Thanks for the links,
> >> regards,
> >> Michael
> >>

> > I know one thing, BSD is secure as heck.  I installed it once on a
> > old rig and typed the password in wrong during setup.  I never
> > could get into that thing again.  I had to start over.  lol  That
> > is why I chose Linux in general.  I want something that is secure
> > enough that I don't have to worry about some script kiddie messing
> > with me.
> >
> > BSD is one option I will be looking into if I move from Gentoo.
> >  After all, they are fairly close maybe even a step up.  Especially
> > now.
>
> Doesn't Gentoo have a BSD target? The problem here is with udev, which
> doesn't apply to BSD, AFAIK. Gentoo/BSD might be a good direction to
> go.
>
> Also, where does FreeBSD's kernel stand, with respect to device
> drivers?

There is a BSD target on Gentoo, but I don't know too much about it (I
just use regular parts on my installs). It seems to suffer from lack of
manpower, starting up and dying down occasionally. Which is a shame as
it has huge potential but Linux grabs most of the limelight.

Driver support is excellent. At least on server grade hardware
everything I've ever bought just works, but I can't comment on desktop
hardware.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com