On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:19:10 -0400
Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mick wrote:
> > From my understanding, the dev is not listening.  That is another
> > thing that bothers me.  When devs stop listening to users, that
> > causes a problem. Remember hal?  How many people complained early
> > on about the config files? Lots.  I also don't like that a very few
> > people or just one person can make a decision like this that will
> > have a negative affect on a LOT and I mean a LOT of users.  That is
> > something that needs to be dealt with.  What I would like to see is
> > this, a good stable alternative that works well with a proper fix
> > and for that to push udev out and render it null.  I think that
> > would serve the dev right.  Listen to the people that use it or
> > people will use something else.  The mdev package comes to mind
> > here.  Maybe this will push it to take udevs place.  It seems there
> > is enough people that opposes this. If a few commercial and paying
> > people can help, it may just be the next better thing.
>
> As I understand it, nothing of udev itself is in /usr, but instead
> packages and scripts which plug themselves into udev to be triggered
> by various events.
>
> Perhaps the real solution is to circumvent udev and get those other
> packages and scripts to not put hotplug-active files under /usr.

That's my understanding too, and I agree with your conclusions. The
distros can easily (give enough man-power) deal with this too - they
simply have to modify their rpms/debs/pkgs/ebuilds to install specific
identified things to / instead of /usr. They *already* do this for
packages that natively install to peculiar locations.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com