On 2011-09-10 18:09, Dale wrote:

> From my understanding, the dev is not listening.  That is another thing
> that bothers me.  When devs stop listening to users, that causes a

AFAIU he doesn't listen to people not running RHEL/Fedora (or any of the
big binary distros). For a binary distro, that most likely already are
using an initrd thingie, this works fine. In my mind it also makes it
more difficult to support your own kernel (patches etc.) under these
binary distros making you more dependent on the distro supplier. If you
want control of what goes into your machine then this works less well...
Now if you were a _big_ customer of RHEL that wanted to keep udev
working like it currently does I think you might have some more leverage
(i.e. if the developer refuses to keep things working, then someone at
Red Hat would probably step in at the benefit of their customer and do
the right thing(tm)).

Best regards

Peter K