On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 03:04:37 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Thursday 15 Sep 2011 16:13:26 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
>> > 1.  The minimal initramfs will only need to be built once (and rarely
>> > rebuilt thereafter).  This removes one of my fears and it was a main
>> > objection for me - I would hate to have to rebuild initramfs every time
>> > I roll a new kernel, or libs and what not of fs happen to be udpated,
>> > etc.
>>
>> In my experience, it takes more time to build the kernel than it takes
>> to rebuild the initramfs. And if you choose to use dracut, the process
>> is automatic (you always call dracut with the same options, unless you
>> suddenly add LVM or something similar).
>
> Canek, as you've been using dracut already extensively, is it possible to set
> default options/modules/whatever to get to the situation where simply running
> "dracut" without any extra options will always recreate the correct initramfs?

The modules get defined by the DRACUT_MODULES variable, which is
use-expanded. The options are configured in /etc/dracut.conf, but I
believe there are some command line options not configurable.

>> I didn't use an initramfs for my first years using Gentoo. Since I
>> started to use media-gfx/splashutils a couple of years ago, every time
>> I upgraded my kernel, I splash_geninitramfs'd my initramfs. Now I do
>> the same, but with plymouth and systemd using dracut. It's just part
>> of the process of getting a new kernel.
>
> And, if the initramfs has other tools in it, after every emerge of these
> tools. This is where I see a possible cause for failure as then the situation
> arises where the initramfs will still start "correctly", but because it's
> using older tools it's possible that older versions and new versions start
> running simultaneously and get mixed up in a way that is not immediately
> apparent.

I see it the other way around: you ensure that your initramfs is in
sync with your system. In other words: the initramfs contains a subset
of your normal installation. That is why it makes redundant /lib,
/sbin and /bin.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés