On Sep 16, 2011 4:03 PM, "Joost Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 05:38:41 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

[--major snippage--]
> > I see it the other way around: you ensure that your initramfs is in
> > sync with your system. In other words: the initramfs contains a subset
> > of your normal installation. That is why it makes redundant /lib,
> > /sbin and /bin.
>
> The reason I ditched lilo when grub came out was because I always would
forget
> to run the lilo-command. (Another was that lilo wouldn't work on a new
> machine, but that's not important)
> The same will be true for dracut. And probably not just for me.
>
> The on-disk-format may stay the same and the tools (am thinking LVM here)
> should always be able to find my filesystems. But, what if the initramfs
does
> the fsck with older tools?
>
> Currently, the fsck runs before actually mounting the filesystems. If the
> filesystems end up being pre-mounted, when will fsck run and which
version?

Speaking of fsck, didn't someone lamented the fact that fsck can no longer
be statically linked, thus making initr* 'blew up' in size?

When more and more utilities go the non-statically-linked way...
congratulations! You now have an initr* that's practically a cpio-ized
version of /

Rgds,