On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then any boot loader will need to call something to start it.
> Understand this: any Linux/Unix init system (systemd, SysV, Upstart,
> OpenRC) is simply a program... that the Linux kernel itself executes.

I know.  What I don't understand is the statement that grub2 calls (or
connects to) the init system.

> That's the init= command line in the kernel.
>
> The bootloader calls an operating system. The init system (if at all)
> that the OS uses doesn't matter: so if you have an operating system,
> any bootloader should be able to boot it (bearing things like being
> able to understand the filesystem etc.)

I know how bootloaders like LILO and grub-legacy work.  What I don't
understand is the statement that grub2 is somehow aware of the booted
OS's init system.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
                                  at               be flung by members of