On 10/05/2011 06:29 AM, Michael A. Koerber wrote:

> Just tried root=PARTUUID=....  failed.  Checked my genblk.c and the
> changes don't appear in the 2.6.36 or 2.6.39 kernels on my system.
> When did (does) the PARTUUID syntax support get released?

This is very obscure and confusing if you don't already know the
history of that code.

You might think, as I did, that PARTUUID stands for the UUID of the
partition you're searching for -- not true :(

PARTUUID stands for Partition Table UUID, which is entirely different
from a Partition UUID.  Clear as mud, eh?

Only GUID/EFI partition tables have a UUID -- not DOS partition tables.

I posted a HOWTO on the subject here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/225071