Am Freitag 28 Oktober 2011, 11:19:37 schrieb Michael Mol:
> (oi, it's getting harder and harder to snip this thing properly)
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 16:00:09 schrieb Michael Mol:

> >> My point is that the numbers aren't what mattered here. My point is
> >> that SAMSUNG sold me a shoddy product, replaced it with another
> >> instance of the the same shoddy product, wouldn't replace it again,
> >> and never addressed a detailed technical report of a systemic problem
> >> in the same. Bad tech, bad customer service, and it looked like this
> >> was a more common scenario than among other manufacturers. All of it
> >> boiled down to a nasty case of being a bad candidate for spending time
> >> and money.
> >
> > Samsung replaced my two drives (one 500gb drive from a known shady
> > series and the SSD when the firmware overwrote itself) without any
> > fuss.
> >
> > Of course, I included the results of their check tool. No problem.
> >
> >> Did IBM refuse to replace your failing drives?
> >
> > no, but 5 out of 5 died and took tons of valuable data with them.
> >
> > That is the worst case scenario. All other harddrives had no problems at
> > all. Different mobos, PSUs - nothing changed the fact that all death
> > stars I ever owned died violently - except the last one, because I sold
> > the computer it was built in in time.
> >
> >> Did you include
> >> detailed technical information that should have allowed them to
> >> resolve issues leading to those drives' failures? For me, SAMSUNG's
> >> behavior in the customer service department indicated that I wasn't
> >> likely to get good service in the future, and the rapidly-failing
> >> drives (combined with my analysis of the SMART output and the history
> >> of SMART problems with SAMSUNG drives) indicated to me that I'd need
> >> to use that customer service department in the future if I bought more
> >> of their drives.
> >
> > there was one smart related problem with Samsung in the last year. With
> > their 2tb drives. Samsung released a firmware patch after they were
> > informed of the problem.
> >
> > Apart from that Samsung drives just work for me - and the people around
> > me.
> >
> > I also had no problems with drives getting replaced - but the replacing
> > was always the problem of my trusted hardware dealer. That is why you
> > buy hdds from a trusted, local guy. The rest was the problem of
> > Samsung. They can't wiggle out of Germany's warranty laws ;)
>
> Yeah, I bought mine from Newegg. Hard drive warranty through Newegg
> means "see manufacturer". I've had no problem with WD's customer
> service. Haven't had occasion to try anyone but SAMSUNG and WD.
>
> Problem with buying locally where I am is that it generally means a
> 50% markup above what I'd pay Newegg. There are several big-box stores
> in the area whose prices and selections aren't great. There are three
> small computer stores within a 45 minute drive, and their selection
> [...]

my 'local' shop has only 10% higher prices than cheap online sellers. Worst
case. Most of the time it is a lot less - and sometimes cheaper than online. I
am willing to pay that 'premium' for service and the knowledge that when I
tell them the drive is dead they don't even try to put the blame on me. Same
for Ram - or mainboards ;) After bad experience with Enermax - waiting 6 weeks
for a replacement for a PSU that killed three mobos and enermax being too
cheap to even put a new set of cables in the box I went with BeQuiet. 48h
replacement.

--
#163933