Mark Knecht wrote:
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Florian Philipp wrote:
Am 27.10.2011 19:30, schrieb Dale:
I just wonder how much data they will be able to pack into a 3.5" drive
tho.  Hmmmmm.  Surely they will run out of room at some point.  I mean,
the heads have got to have a little room to work with.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Well, then this story might cheer you up ;)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/researchers-increase-hard-drive-density-sixfold-with-salt.ars

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Good Golly Ms Molly.

"and have been able to fabricate magnetic storage media with a density of
3.3 terabits per square inch."

What is there about 10 or 12 square inches for a 3.5" drive?  That's about
30TBs.  O_O  That would take me a while to fill up even if I had a really
fast DSL line.  WOW !!

Hmmmm, NCIS, all the CSI's, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs, and lots of others.
  Heck, I could cut off DirecTv then.  Just get that Hulu thingy and go nuts.
  Does Hulu work with Linux?  Seems I read it doesn't.  Anyway, still a LOT
of shows.

Dale
Hulu works with Linux last time I tried but I typically use a Windows
VM to watch it..

NetFlix works with Linux but only in a Windows VM.

Amazon streams now but I haven't tried them yet. (Watch out for 'One
Touch' and accidentally spending money...)

Most of the TV networks have web site streaming of their programs
which work in Linux.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it would take 6TB to
digitize the Library of Congress. Whether that's true or not, we're
close to the point where every person can have a personal copy of the
Library of Congress.

- Mark

I have to say this. I worked at a computer place in the late 80's. Back then a 25Mhz CPU was fast as lightening. Hard drives were maybe 100MBs. Memory, lucky if you have a 1 or 2Mbs. Now look where we are. I'm still trying to play Steve Jobs and imagine where we will be 20 years from now.

I'm real bad to download videos. I have been working on NCIS here the past few weeks. I try to get HD when I can. One day I hope to hook my TV up to my puter. I have a HDMI connector on the video card and my TV has a couple on the back of it. I just don't know yet how to make them work or if they work already. I need to test that one day. Anyway, if I get enough stuff downloaded, I could in theory suspend DirecTv for a month or two. Put the money on some bills.

Oh, I use downloadhelper to get the videos. It stopped working with Seamonkey 2.4 so back to using Firefox right now. It keeps crashing tho. Still scratching my head on that one. ;-)

Hulu works with Linux huh? I got to remember that. I did know that Netflix didn't tho. I thought about trying it but they went up.

Life.

Dale

:-)  :-)