Lots of HDD RPMs and company suggestions, but to the point...

My two cents are: ESATA.  I have multi TB external disks which I have
physics data stored on and needs to be analyzed.  USB might be as fast
(in the best case), but it uses processor overhead.

Not that a lot of machines support that kind of input.  I picked up a
decent laptop for cheap that also supports ESATA.  I didn't do
benchmarks or anything, but it's really insane IMO.

~daid

PS Sorry I deleted all the reply text.  I didn't want to copy/paste
individual references to different company external drives and so on,
just to not really care.  Mine is something by Buffalo, but I care
because it has ESATA.

PPS Or you could be my friends using USB formated NTFS and I can use
top to see how much processor power is used by ntfs-3g just to read
the data.  Ugh!