On 11/9/2011 8:55 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:47:07 -0500, Mike Edenfield wrote:

Are you saying then that every time you download new source files you
have to create or cp new localversion* files in /usr/src/linux/ for
this auto-numbering to work?

Yeah, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a
way to automate this that I just haven't bothered to learn.

There is, but the file is called .version. The contents of this are
appended to the kernel name when you have the relevant options set. There
is no manual intervention needed.

But I still need to create .version every time I compile a new set of kernel sources for the first time, right? That's what I'm doing now (localversion2 is a symlink to .version)

--Mike