On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> When I did my ls on
> /boot, the kernels were symlinks to the kernel sources on /usr which is not
> mounted yet.
<SNIP>

Why in the world would a kernel on /boot _ever_ be a symlink? That's
just not right for guys like you and me Dale!

> I reboot and the BIOS shows my drives not as SATA but as IDE.  However, I
> edit the grub kernel line to point to a good kernel and it boots.  I'm
> actually typing in it now.

So this is good. Glad you got that far.

> My questions you ask?  Why is the BIOS not seeing the drives correctly?  The
> main BIOS screen sees nothing and it used to print them on the screen,
> including the DVD burner.  They do show up on the second screen where AHCI
> detects drives.

IF by the 'first screen' you mean what you see when booting up then it
may or may not be a problem. I suspect your BIOS settings got
scrambled a bit. With my Asus MB there is an option to tell it to show
the drives on the first screen or not. If BIOS gets set back to
default then I don't see them. I then go in, set the option, and then
I do see them.

On this Asus machine I have two BIOS'es. When I do updates, if the
update doesn't go well, then the machine automatically drops back to
BIOS #2 which is (hopefully) unchanged. This is safe, but can at times
get a little confusing. Possibly your machine has something similar
and you're now using the second BIOS?

Good luck!!!

Cheers,
Mark