On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 07:11:53PM +0000, Mick wrote:
> Thankfully eselect news spells it out and this link makes me thing twice
> about
> my next steps:
>
>   http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
>
> Following Alan's disastrous experience where he saw all his messages
> disappear
> before his eyes I am doubly cautious.
>
> Has anyone tried the migration to 4.7 yet?
>
> Only to make things slightly more complicated ... has anyone tried it who's
> been using sqlite3 like I do, instead of the recommended MySQL?
>
> Any gotchas other than backups of everything recommended in the news article?

I installed my first 4.7.x kdepim on 30th of July. I was quite happy with it.
Migration went smooth and I only had to recreate my filters, I guess because
the filters’ target folders were now addressed differently.

kdepimlibs-4.7.3 came on 4th of november. The only thing I remember from
the last weeks is that I was unable to read any mail. All I got in KMail were
revolving cirlces and “Fetching folder content” screens. I didn’t lose any
mail, as far as I can tell. But I was growing tired of Akondi even before that.
So being unable to read anything finally pushed me to mutt. ^^

I don’t have _that_ many mails, at the time of my switching about 13000 or so,
mostly in a few mailing lists. The average dev probably has much more than
that. But even with that number, I had more than 30 seconds of additional full
HDD load after login (once I removed the mail resources, login time until idle
went from 1:05 to ~33 seconds). Plus, all mail files were individually
duplicated in the Akonadi folder... what gives? While I understand the
reasoning behind Akonadi and its potential, I do question the implementation.

I might try it again in 4.8, but right now I’m keeping my hands off.
That’s probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just couldn’t resist.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Being adult means that nothing is being added upstairs.