On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 06:47:22AM +0000, Mick wrote:

> > > Following Alan's disastrous experience where he saw all his messages
> > > disappear before his eyes I am doubly cautious.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried the migration to 4.7 yet?

> > I installed my first 4.7.x kdepim on 30th of July. I was quite happy with
> > it. Migration went smooth and I only had to recreate my filters, I guess
> > because the filters’ target folders were now addressed differently.
> >
> > kdepimlibs-4.7.3 came on 4th of november. The only thing I remember from
> > the last weeks is that I was unable to read any mail. All I got in KMail
> > were revolving cirlces and “Fetching folder content” screens. I didn’t
> > lose any mail, as far as I can tell. But I was growing tired of Akondi
> > even before that. So being unable to read anything finally pushed me to
> > mutt. ^^
>
> Oh dear!  I better get prepared for learning all the mutt shortcuts then?

Hihi, well there are tons of alternatives. Despite my keeping distance from GTK
for general use (except for the obvious, such as Gimp and Inkscape),
Thunderbird is very good (which I used before I switched to Linux). Its
handling of data was very stable and efficient, last time I used it. I still
have it installed in my old Windows and keep it up to date.

> > I don’t have _that_ many mails, at the time of my switching about 13000 or
> > so, mostly in a few mailing lists. The average dev probably has much more
> > than that. But even with that number, I had more than 30 seconds of
> > additional full HDD load after login (once I removed the mail resources,
> > login time until idle went from 1:05 to ~33 seconds).
>
> What?!!  Each time you load the desktop/start kmail?!  This can't be right!

Well, starting KMail is quite quick. But so it was before Akonadi times,
because KMail used the storage layer natively.

> > Plus, all mail files were individually duplicated in the Akonadi folder...
> > what gives? While I understand the reasoning behind Akonadi and its
> > potential, I do question the implementation.

> I can't even understand the reasoning!  Enforcing a database backend on a
> desktop use case should not be the default solution for a PIM.

Well when it eventually works as imagined it’s quite nice, I guess. A database
“cache” usually is meant to increase access speed, but they’re not quite there
yet. The benefit is that you can access the same information from one single
data source (like all your mails) from several applications, such as KMail, or
a plasmoid, or... uhm...  well those two. ^^ (how about a web service, or
integration into other PIM apps)

<rumble>
To me it seems we Gentooians don’t care much about social sharing, semantic
desktops or data associations. We know where our files are and what they
contain, we want to control ourselves where our personal information is stored.
We want efficient environments that do what we want, not what the devs imagine
is the future of the desktop.
:D </rumble>
Hehe, that sounds like a political manifesto.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

55% of all oaks are deciduous trees -- still!