On 1/17/2012 08:39 AM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> On 1/17/2012 1:55 AM, Chris Walters wrote:
>> that have make files for MS Visual Studio.  I have no interest in purchasing
>> Visual Studio.
>
> Just a point of interest: "Visual Studio" doesn't use Makefiles; Visual C++
> can
> import Makefile projects if you ask it to, but it has its own project file
> format. If you're seeing actual make files (and not, say, a .sln file or
> .cproj
> file) then you don't need Studio, just an nmake-compatible version of make.
>
> If you do have project and solution files from Visual Studio, they are just
> MSBuild projects (think "ant for Windows"). I'm pretty sure there are
> open-source variants of MSBuild, possibly in the Mono project?
>
> And of course, Visual C++ Express is free, though you'd need to find somewhere
> to set it up.

Just a note:  I used to do all of my programming in Visual Studio.  I stopped
when I needed to do things that VS wouldn't let me do, and also because I
discovered GNU/Linux.

As for the types of files I've seen, I have seen both VS Solution/Project
files, and nmake files.  Most of the time, I just use the configure script with
x86_64-w64-mingw32 as my host, and it works fine.

Do you, by chance, know where I can find an nmake-compatible version of make?
Also, do you have a link for Visual C++ Express?  I like to do most programming
in C/C++ anyway (though this is OT).

Thanks for your reply, it was enlightening...  When I did most of my
programming, portability was not an issue - now it is virtually a must.

Chris

---
Virus Database (VPS): 120117-0, 01/17/2012
Tested on: 1/17/2012 9:26:56 AM