While I program a lot on my Linux machines, I haven't actually found an IDE
that doesn't make me wish VS ran on Linux. MonoDevelop isn't horrible but if I
wanted to write .NET code I'd just use Windows; Eclipse makes me want to drill
my brain out with a corkscrew and the only other decent IDE's I've seen are
KDE-specific. I've falling back to the default of Emacs at this point; it's
powerful enough, especially when I'm doing Lisp or Scheme, but I have an
internal mental limit of 150,110 hotkey combinations that I think is holding me
back. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears :)

> As for the types of files I've seen, I have seen both VS Solution/Project
> files,
> and nmake files.  Most of the time, I just use the configure script with
> x86_64-w64-mingw32 as my host, and it works fine.
>
> Do you, by chance, know where I can find an nmake-compatible version of
> make?

> Also, do you have a link for Visual C++ Express?  I like to do most
> programming in C/C++ anyway (though this is OT).

Well, if you're willing to go the "install a Windows OS" route, everything you
need command-line wise is found in the Windows SDK:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb980924.aspx.
Visual C++ 2010 Express can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express

Mostly what you lose with Express are the TFS integrations, unit testing, and
other "application lifecycle management" stuff they pack into the full
editions. Express editions can't build & debug 64-bit applications, but the
64-bit compilers come with the SDK. Depends on how much effort you're willing
to put into it.

If you don't want to install Windows you're options are going to be mostly
limited to the GNU binutils and GCC, which support targeting Win32 and Win64.
In theory you could run the command-line tools, for example, under Wine, but
I've never tried it. I don't actually know of a make for Linux that is
compatible with NMAKE. If you can't find one then you'll need to do a lot of
work to build any applications that require it. However, I think the number of
applications using Microsoft make files is vanishingly small: they're either
going to produce a GNU makefile (since GNU make runs on Windows) or an MSBuild
project.

And yes, AT&T also released a tool called "nmake" that is not compatible with
Microsoft NMAKE (or either of the other two incompatible makes), so don't get
them confused.

--Mike