120120 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:37:06 -0800, Grant wrote:
>> I have an old Gentoo system that hasn't been updated or used at all
>> in at least 2 years.  It's remote but I have SSH access.
> Take small steps. emerge -pv @system first
> and be prepared to emerge packages a few at a time.

That's always the best way to update a Gentoo system.
I've never done a simple 'emerge -??? world' & hoped for the best
& have never run off the rails since first installing Gentoo 2003.
'emerge -Dup world' lists all the pkgs Portage wants to update
& shows the order in which it plans to tackle them :
you can use that to do a few pkgs at a time & as you do them,
check the output, warnings etc.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca