>>> You don't have to do the entire stage3 at once,
>>>
>>>  http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/
>>>
>>> has precompiled packages for the major arches and profiles. You could try to
>>> replace just pambase, pam, python, etc. -- whatever's giving you trouble.
>>>
>>> This was not my first recommendation because I've managed to break e.g.
>>> `tar` and `cp` before in the attempt at which point you have two rescues to
>>> attempt.
>>
>> The errors I'm getting seem to be complaining about emerging ebuilds
>> with a higher EAPI number than my portage has.  Should I just install
>> the latest portage binary package?  If so, how should I do that?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Only because I had to do this once myself.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

>From that link:

"If your currently installed version of python reported by python -V
is less than 2.6 then you must choose a version of portage that is
compatible with it. If you have at least python 2.6 then use
portage-2.1.10.41.tar.bz2. If you have python 2.4 or 2.5 then use
portage-2.1.6.tar.bz2."

I get:

# python -V
Python 2.5.2

and I'm already on portage-2.1.6.13 which is non-functional since it
doesn't have high enough EAPI support for current ebuilds.

I think I'm stuck between a python and portage upgrade.  I can't
update python with my current portage and I can't update portage with
my current python.

- Grant