On 01/20/2012 09:42 PM, Grant wrote:
# emerge -avDuN system
[snip]
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/pambase-20081028" have
been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r1 (masked by: EAPI 4)
- sys-auth/pambase-20101024 (masked by: EAPI 3)

USE="-pam" emerge @system will avoid that particular block, although it
may only get you as far as the next one.

I seem to get an error like this from whatever I try to emerge.  Is
untarring a stage3 my only option?

- Grant

You don't have to do the entire stage3 at once,

  http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/

has precompiled packages for the major arches and profiles. You could try to replace just pambase, pam, python, etc. -- whatever's giving you trouble.

This was not my first recommendation because I've managed to break e.g. `tar` and `cp` before in the attempt at which point you have two rescues to attempt.