On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 06:57:32 -0800, Grant wrote:

> "If your currently installed version of python reported by python -V
> is less than 2.6 then you must choose a version of portage that is
> compatible with it. If you have at least python 2.6 then use
> portage-2.1.10.41.tar.bz2. If you have python 2.4 or 2.5 then use
> portage-2.1.6.tar.bz2."
>
> I get:
>
> # python -V
> Python 2.5.2
>
> and I'm already on portage-2.1.6.13 which is non-functional since it
> doesn't have high enough EAPI support for current ebuilds.
>
> I think I'm stuck between a python and portage upgrade.  I can't
> update python with my current portage and I can't update portage with
> my current python.

The blockages you posted relate to Python 2.7 and the latest portage.
What happens if you install python:2.6, either through portage or a
tarball.

Try emerge -1a python:2.6

or put >dev-lang/python-2.7 in package.mask.

Thinking about it, judicious use of package.mask to limit portage to
small incremental upgrades may be the best approach.

--
Neil Bothwick

How stupid are people?  Send me  to find out.