Florian Philipp <lists <at> binarywings.net> writes:

> sys-boot/grub has two slots. The default slot 0 with version numbers
> around 0.92-0.97 is grub-1 (or grub legacy). Slot 2 with version numbers
> around 1.99 is grub-2. Because it is still in development hell, it has
> not reached version 2.00.

OK, this part I understand.

> IIRC, sys-boot/grub-static is mostly there for systems that cannot
> compile grub, for example AMD64 no-multilib profiles.

OK, from the handbook....
Thanks for clearing that up.

The second part of this question, is what version of grub do I use
with an AMD64 RAID-1-workstation install that will use this
(multilib) profile:

[5]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde *

But I intend to put RAID-1 on the boot/root/swap partitions.
ext2 and ext4 FS for boot/root.

Any preferred version of grub (grub-1) will do ?

Trying to use this document:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/Software
The advice about grub (1 vs 2) and mdadm RAID-metadata
all confuses the grub choice for me.

Should I use Grub-1 ? or Grub-2 ?

Or maybe I should just do a traditional gentoo (handbook) install
and then migrate to a RAID-1 workstation, via this document:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Migrate_to_RAID

I've spent countless hours on numerous attempts to do it all in
one install, and grub will not boot for me.

IDEAS?

James