On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:43:11 -0600
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Willie WY Wong
> <wong...@member.ams.org> wrote:
> > Actually, why is it that upstream does not provide 64bit binaries?
> > (It always bothers me to see my wife's Windows 7 machines running a
> > copy of firefox marked, in parenthesis, 32 bit.)
>
> They're working on it... They actually have started generating 64-bit
> nightly builds for Windows and Linux:
> https://nightly.mozilla.org/
>
> If I had to guess what the hold-up has been:
>
> User confusion about which version to use (32-bit will work for
> everyone, 64-bit won't)
> Plugin availability (even Adobe and Sun didn't make 64-bit flash or
> java until recently)

It's mostly that their build people have had more important stuff to
deal with for a while, such as adjusting their system to deal with the
new-ish release cycle and giving their devs more a more flexible system
for building testing binaries.  (And there's been almost no clamor from
the Windows world for 64-bit builds.  For people who are clamoring,
there's a third-party build called Waterfox.)

But I thought they do release 64-bit binaries for Linux.  There's a
linux-x86_64 directory in their stable release directory,
<ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/>.