(Hmm, GMane acting up again. Sorry if this shows up twice; I've sent this yesterday.)

On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:
I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
me.  When does that ever work?

Oh crap, you said "remote system". Somehow I missed that. Ignore my previous post since obviously accessing Grub on a remote machine would require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)

The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:

http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html

I didn't bother with the panic handler, since I had remote hard-reset functionality (I recommend it; it can save your day.)