On 25/02/12 16:04, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Hello, Nikos.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 04:10:10AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:
I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
me.  When does that ever work?

Oh crap, you said "remote system".  Somehow I missed that.  Ignore my
require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)

The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:

http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html

I didn't bother with the panic handler, since I had remote hard-reset
functionality (I recommend it; it can save your day.)

What is this "remote hard-reset functionality", if you don't mind me
asking?  Do you mean somebody on the far end of a telephone line?

No, it was a web interface button. It was instant. I assume it either cut the power to the slice or a controller was hooked up to the reset connector.