On 8/23/05, Bruno Lustosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello. I'm running ntpd as server on one of my machines, and it keeps
> itself in sync with 6 time servers around the globe. The
> synchronization works very well.
> The problem is when I try to get the other machines on the network to
> sync themselves with this one server. Most of them are running linux
> (kernel 2.6.x), but some are still running windows.
> Some machines can sync fine, and some don't. All of them can reach the
> server (same network), and there is no firewall at all.
> This is the output I get from ntpq on the machines that don't work:
>
> ntpq> peers
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
>  timeserver     217.160.252.229  3 u   26   64  377    0.214  46927.6 716.379
> ntpq> assoc
>
> ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
>   1 15036  9064   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  6
>
> The only differences between this one and another machines where it's
> working fine are the status code (it varies a bit) and the condition
> (instead of reject, sys.peer).
> The ntp.conf for all machines have just:
>
> server 192.168.7.1
>
> which is the ip address of the time server in question.
> I don't know the internals of ntp. What can be wrong in my configuration?

I am no NTP expert, but there may be nothing wrong with your configuartion.
NTP is a complex protocol. The machine has decided not to sync
with the requested server. It thinks that the provided server is inacurate (the
machine's internal clock is more acurate).

Leave it running a couple of days and then see what happens.

The whole idea is to calculate the drift of the machines internal
clock. NTP will
not trust specified timeservers blindly.

Frankly I think that ntp works best with several timeservers.
If you want your local machines to blindly set the date to your local timeserver
try nptdate instead.

--
Regards
Karol Krzak