On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 17:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:10:35 -0700
> > Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 4) I don't use a separate /usr so I don't need any of this. I suspect
> >> most casual Gentoo users like me are pretty much the same.
> >
> > This news item in no way applies to you and you are completely
> > unaffected. You can safely update openrc and udev.
> >

> Yeah, that was my reading of it, and I appreciate your response.
>
> In this case, and I don't know why, I have this feeling that this
> thing is gonna turn out badly and I'd be better being prepared on the
> initramfs side of things. I did have to use one to bring up my server
> with / on a RAID6, not because I needed it long term but in the short
> term I couldn't determine how mdadm was numbering the RAID so that I
> could get grub.conf correct. I'm somehow a bot worried something is
> going to slip by the devs and I'd be better off having an initramfs
> already running on the box when I do allow the upgrades.
>
> Planning on giving Dracut a try.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Definitely be careful! - I went the genkernel route and except for
laptops use LVM and separate partitions.

Be very wary of using an existing kernel config - there are a few
unexpected things that I had to enable to get an already working, but
customised kernel config to boot properly after genkernel used it.  I
still need to cut the config down some more to speed booting (restrict
the autodetect to hardware I actually have).

genkernel doesnt support suspend/resume without patching so beware if
thats a consideration.

I do get the feeling I now have a less reliable, flakier system with
more demands on admin time because everytime I upgrade I will have more
issues.  I might eventually do away with the separate /usr if they ever
get it read only and reliable, but thats likely to a way off yet and
none of my machines use a big enough (non LVM) / to hold it anyway.

BillK