On Mar 18, 2012 9:44 AM, "Joshua Murphy" <poiso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On 18/03/12 03:45, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> >>
> <snip>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> * It tries to unify Linux behaviour among distros (some can argue that
> >> this is a bad thing): Using systemd, the same
> >> configurations/techniques work the same in every distribution. No more
> >> need to learn /etc/conf.d, /etc/sysconfig, /etc/default hacks by
> >> different distros.
> >

> > Out of the things you listed, this strikes me as the most important.
Linux
> > really needs standards.  When I install software on Windows, it knows
how to
> > add its startup services.  On Linux, this is all manual work if your
distro
> > isn't supported, especially on Gentoo.  If there's no ebuild for it, you
> > spend your whole day trying to make it work.
> >

> My day job's on the windows side of things... and as true as it is
> that the application developer knows the approach they're going to use
> today to get their piece of software to start when windows does (as
> often as not, doing so without the knowledge of the user), there's a
> *massive* range of ways to do just that, and they *do* vary as you
> move from one version of windows to the next... and tracking down
> what's actually starting at boot (and why) without tools explicitly
> created to give that information is an incredible amount of work on
> the side of the user and even the usual admin. I'm not sure I'd cite
> that as a positive benefit on the windows side of things...

True, that.

Case in point : a couple of months back, I had great trouble trying to
start the server service *after* the iSCSI service. Finally have to resort
on a script starting using Windows Scheduler (post-boot event)

On Linux, I *know* where services are started. The locations might be
different from one distro to another, but within one distro, there's
(usually) only 2 ways a service get started.

Plus, as a server guy, I don't really care if the boot up process is
faster; I need deterministic boot process, with as succinct instrumentation
as possible.

Rgds,